Posted Mon, 21 Aug 2017 08:31:00 GMT by CMRITO Communications

CMRTO response: As a sonographer and nurse, you will need to reflect on your practice and the scope of practice of both professions and determine whether you need to be registered in one or both regulatory colleges. You may wish to discuss this with the College of Nurses of Ontario and CMRTO, when the registration regulation is passed.

Posted Mon, 21 Aug 2017 23:14:48 GMT by Sonographer

Absolutely unfair to international graduated professionals. Even a physician who have performed ultrasound overseas (yes, in some countries only physicians are allowed to conduct ultrasound) will not have their experience recognized in order to become a technician in Canada. I don't see how this can be good to patients. 

Posted Tue, 22 Aug 2017 07:04:05 GMT by Sonographer

This is a good news !!!

I want to know after regulating, the body will have a decision on the pay scale and hours and how many patients a sonographer can see in 7.5 shift and need of using updated machines in the workplace ?.Employers are really utilizing the sonographers.

Posted Wed, 23 Aug 2017 00:46:41 GMT by Sonographer

Hello,

I believe there has a be a focus on areas of specialty in Ultrasound. We must be careful to not paint all sonographers with one brush. I currently hold a CRCS credential from Sonography Canada and an RDCS credential with ARDMS. However with ARDMS I am even further specialized with an Adult Echocardiography credential (AE) and a Pediatric Echocardiography Credential (PE). Sonography Canada does not recognize a difference between Adult and Pediatric and I believe this is wrong. I strongly believe you cannot just label a Cardiac Sonographer a "Diagnostic Medical Sonographer" without supporting these further specialized credentials. There should be something in the title recognizing that. In my particular case I am focused on Cardiac and even further that I am capable and credentialed in doing Pediatric Exams. There is a massive difference in being able to do AE vs. PE. I had to write a different exam for both and had to train to learn PE on top of AE. Has there been any talk about recognizing this?

Posted Wed, 23 Aug 2017 00:47:00 GMT by CMRITO Communications

CMRTO response: The CMRTO sets the requirements for an MRT's registration in each of the specialties of radiography, nuclear medicine, radiation therapy and magnetic resonance and in the near future, diagnostic medical sonography. MRTs are responsible for ensuring they have the requisite knowledge, skills and judgment to perform procedures safely and effectively in every area of their practice. This means you must not perform any procedure unless you are competent to do so, and you must practice only in the areas of medical radiation technology in which you are educated and experienced.

One way to demonstrate that you have the necessary education and experience is to complete a certification in a specialty area offered by a professional association or other organization. In fact, your employer may require MRTs and DMSs to complete a certificate in a specialized area of practice before practising in that area.

Posted Wed, 23 Aug 2017 03:53:36 GMT by MRT

I am currently a member of the CMRTO and practice radiography as well as diagnostic sonography

I held ARDMS certification previously and now hold solely Sonography Canada Certification as the Canadian standard for Sonography

Will I need to pay an additional fee to practice sonography or will my current fee paid as an MRT R cover this cost? An additional fee will be monetarily difficult for me as a single parent

Posted Wed, 23 Aug 2017 04:23:25 GMT by MRT

Currently, point of care ultrasound is used extensively in health care by health professionals other than sonographers. Are there plans for the CMRTO to define who can perform POCUS studies or does this fall outside the scope of the college.

Posted Wed, 23 Aug 2017 04:24:00 GMT by CMRITO Communications

CMRTO response: CMRTO will be regulating diagnostic medical sonographers - not the use of ultrasound by other health professionals. Other health professionals are regulated by their own health regulatory colleges (physicians, nurses, midwives, etc.) and the government provides the legislation regarding the use of ultrasound.

Posted Wed, 23 Aug 2017 04:25:05 GMT by Sonographer

I am IMG & have 2 specialties from ARDMS but I was not able to work in past 3 years because 2 children were born to me. Why don't you to the grandparenting of all the ARDMS in Ontario.

1. ARDMS sub specialties will be required in the jobs in future.

2. In the past Sonography Canada did the grandparenting of ARDMS, Why not now?

Please advise

Posted Wed, 23 Aug 2017 21:29:47 GMT by MRT

Currently, point of care ultrasound is used extensively in health care by health professionals other than sonographers. Are there plans for the CMRTO to define who can perform POCUS studies or does this fall outside the scope of the college.

Posted Thu, 24 Aug 2017 01:58:50 GMT by Sonographer

Respectful, appropriate and safe patient care is our primary goal. The  grandfathering clauses indicated are more than fair. Sonographers who have previously failed to obtain recognized credentials regardless of their level of knowledge and skills have been deficient in their professional and public responsibility.  Regardless of the duration of practice experience this is a short cut in the credentialing processes that has been in place for over 30 years and which most credentialed (Sonography Canada, ARDMS, ARRT, CCI) sonographers feel is unfair and unsafe. Credentialed sonographers will hope that the assessment of competence is fair and thorough and that foreign credentials and experience will also be assessed in a fair and thorough manner. Too many times in the past we have seen sonographers without appropriate education, training or skills be allowed to practice in unqualified and dangerous ways. This needs to stop to protect our patients and our professional integrity. Education, training and credentialing must be the standard for a license to practice. There is no regulated professional in Canada or internationally that allow practice without proof of competence, why should Ontario sonographers be different. This does not penalize any sonographer who is appropriately qualified to practice in Ontario. Day 1 of this long awaited process begins in January 1st. Kudos to the Minister of Health and Long Term Care, CMRTO and the professional organizations for finally making this happen. 

Posted Thu, 24 Aug 2017 03:06:22 GMT by MRT

Posted Thu, 24 Aug 2017 03:16:03 GMT by Sonographer

This is a response to the CMRTO response "Tuesday, 22 August 2017 16:47" I believe relying on the individual or employer to be responsible for requiring a tech to be certified in a certain area is not enough. I have seen too many employers abuse sonographers in this province. I worked in a hospital that started/attempted using General Ultrasound Techs (RDMS/CRGS) to perform echos when this is clearly a job for a specialized CRCS or RDCS. From what I understand regulation is supposed to protect patients and keep only properly skilled technicians performing the tests they can perform. If this is not being watched over than how is regulation now changing how things have been run? Sonography is not a simple one tier profession like Nuclear Medicine or X-Ray where you learn the basic profession in school and then learn side parts/variations to the job as you go. There are whole sections of Sonography that must be learned proper credentials must be attained. I would not trust a General Sonographer to perform a Vascular Sonography test on me but under the current proposed amendment there is technically nothing against a clinic hiring a General Sonographer to perform these tests by law.

Posted Thu, 24 Aug 2017 03:16:38 GMT by Sonographer

I think it is long overdue for Sonography practice to become regulated in Ontario. As a foreign trained sonographer, I have had the privilege to become certified by sonography Canada and I have been practicing in Ontario for over 4 years now. It is true that many foreign trained sonographers are competent both in theory and in clinical practice. However, there are some who are yet to prove their clinical competencies according to the Canadian standards. I think it will reflect well on the profession to ensure and uphold benchmark standards of practice. Competent foreign trained professionals should be recognized and certified. In my Opinion, those with limited training may benefit from bridging programs.

Will CMRTO have bridging programs for those population?

Posted Thu, 24 Aug 2017 23:23:54 GMT by MRT

Posted Fri, 25 Aug 2017 01:03:12 GMT by Sonographer

I think it is great that Sonography is being recognized.

My question is regarding ARDMS and Sonography Canada...

Once registered with CMRTO,  will Sonographers need to continue to be part of ARDMS or Sonography Canada or will CMRTO replace these?

I am currently licensed with ARDMS but working in Ontario. Will I need to become part of SOnography Canada or I can remain with ARDMS?

Thank you

Posted Fri, 25 Aug 2017 01:04:00 GMT by CMRITO Communications

CMRTO response: The OAMRS and Sonography Canada have provided valuable support and leadership in achieving self-regulation of diagnostic medical sonography in Ontario, and play an important role in advancing the needs of the profession. However, membership in these organizations will not be a requirement for a diagnostic medical sonographer to be registered with the CMRTO and to practise as a DMS in Ontario. Therefore the choice of membership in the OAMRS and Sonography Canada is a personal decision.

Posted Fri, 25 Aug 2017 08:42:57 GMT by MRT

I applaud the addition of Sonographers to the CMRTO.  They are a vital part of diagnostic imaging and provide very specialized skills and knowledge.  This has been a very long time coming and many that I have known over my 30 years working in DI have worked tirelessly to regulate this profession. 

I do concur with several of the other commenters that it may be time to consider changing the name of the college to encompass all of its members, 2 of which will not be using radiation at all in their practice.  The College of Medical Imaging Technologists of Ontario (CMITO) would be more appropriate and reflective of ALL of its members as the sonographers join this group.

Posted Fri, 25 Aug 2017 23:55:45 GMT by Sonographer

Hello and thank-you for your diligence and hard work. Not recognizing the sub specialties of Sonography will simply not work. There are too many facets to our profession which we as Sonographers understand. Unfortunately these distinctions are lost on a great many medical personnel and the public. As a profession we have grappled with this issue for a long time. Calling us all DMS alone, would not serve the public nor the Songraphers well.

Posted Mon, 28 Aug 2017 23:21:39 GMT by MRT

I think being part of a regulatory college is a big and important step for sonographers in terms of public protection, congratulations.

I have seen some interesting comments about changing the name to reflect imaging, I disagree. Radiation therapists are not imagers, by changing the name to something like that will go further to exclude or ignore what radiation therapists do in their primary role.