Posted Fri, 01 Sep 2017 21:24:27 GMT by MRT

Similar to others who have posted a comment, I am concerned how the competence of those 'Sonographers' who have not undergone a training program in any of the educational facilities listed in Schedule 1.3 of the proposed regulations will be ascertained.  In one of the CMRTO's responses it was mentioned that the College '...will likely be relying upon the applicant's clinical supervisor to attest to the person's competence."  This may work in the hospital setting, but it certainly will not work in the private sector where there are no clinical supervisors for Ultrasound. It certainly would not be appropriate for the employer to attest to the person's competence because most private sector employers do not have a healthcare background.

Like other respondents, I too have seen too many people calling themselves Sonographers who are clearly incompetent.  The clinical acumen of applicants who have not completed a formal training program at/or similar to those facilities listed in Schedule 1.3 of the Regulation needs to be verified before they are registered with the CMRTO. Lets avoid having a few applicants besmirch the reputation of the vast majority of competent Sonographers in Ontario...the Ontario public will be grateful knowing that they are protected.

v

Posted Sat, 02 Sep 2017 22:17:30 GMT by Sonographer

What is your proposal for IMGs ? There are few IMGs who invited to Canada to build their new life in  new place.They are educated in their back home and  when they apply for college, due to a long waiting list and the other requirements such as age,they are not eligible to get involved with college of sonography. By taking ARDMS exams, They  can apply for the job in Canada. Now,you want to get  this chance from those ? 

Posted Sat, 02 Sep 2017 23:47:57 GMT by Sonographer

I think ARDMS is a standard organization of sonography all over the world,  and CMRTO should accept ARDMS certification too, specially the APCA subgroup of ARDMS.

Posted Sun, 03 Sep 2017 22:03:34 GMT by Sonographer

Hello i have question and need the answer for it please .

I am international Sonographer having ARDMS certificate and i am working now as Sonographer in hospital in Ontario since last year (1800 hours per year as full time permanent job ),moreover i got approved letter from sonography canada to write their exam am also approved to write the exam as i have 5 years Experience ,so my question now ,since i am still working now and practicing sonography since last year in Ontario and have ARDMS certificate,so should i apply for registration to Council or Not?and what about ARDMS?is it acceptable Certificate or should pass successfully sonography Canada exams?

waiting your reply as soon as possible 

thank u so much .

Posted Sun, 03 Sep 2017 22:04:00 GMT by CMRITO Communications

CMRTO response: Yes, in the future you will be required to be registered with the CMRTO in order to practise as a diagnostic medical sonographer. There will be a one-year grandparenting period starting in January 2018. You can find out more about the steps and the process on the CMRTO website at www.cmrto.org. We will send out regular ‘DMS Updates’ as the regulations proceed.

Posted Mon, 04 Sep 2017 07:00:08 GMT by Sonographer

Thank you for this information

I read the regulations and i consider that one year is not enough ,i suggest to do 2 years ,i hope

my suggestion to do it more than one year will be considered

Thank you so much .

Posted Wed, 06 Sep 2017 04:12:28 GMT by Sonographer

I am IMG, have ARDMS Certification ( 3 specialities )  and i practice as medical sonographer in Hospital in Ontario more than 1400 hours per year  ,so according to your requirements ,am i eligible to apply for one -year grandparenting period ? .

I have also approved letter from Sonography Canada as external candidate to write exam , they gaved me 4 years period to write the exam and to be registered ,so now you give me just one -year grandparenting period to write exams ?and which exams you want from me to write ? how is that ? it is unfair ,one year is totally not enough moreover you stated that Sonography Canada supported you to proceed in this regulation ,so Sonography Canada gives the Candidate 4 years to write exams and to be registered but you give just one year to complete approved exams !! , unless you accept ARDMS Certification .

I need clarification about these points please

appreciated 

Posted Wed, 06 Sep 2017 04:13:00 GMT by CMRITO Communications

CMRTO response: Yes, in the future you will be required to be registered with the CMRTO in order to practise as a diagnostic medical sonographer. There will be a one-year grandparenting period starting in January 2018. You can find out more about the steps and the process on the CMRTO website at www.cmrto.org. We will send out regular ‘DMS Updates’ as the regulations proceed.

Posted Wed, 06 Sep 2017 04:18:02 GMT by Sonographer

I am IMG, have ARDMS Certification ( 3 specialities )  and i practice as medical sonographer in Hospital in Ontario more than 1400 hours per year  ,so according to your requirements ,am i eligible to apply for one -year grandparenting period ? .

I have also approved letter from Sonography Canada as external candidate to write exam , they gaved me 4 years period to write the exam and to be registered ,so now you give me just one -year grandparenting period to write exams ?and which exams you want from me to write ? how is that ? it is unfair ,one year is totally not enough moreover you stated that Sonography Canada supported you to proceed in this regulation ,so Sonography Canada gives the Candidate 4 years to write exams and to be registered but you give just one year to complete approved exams !! , unless you accept ARDMS Certification .

appreciated 

Posted Wed, 06 Sep 2017 04:26:30 GMT by Sonographer

appreciated 

Posted Wed, 06 Sep 2017 04:35:00 GMT by Sonographer

appreciated 

Posted Thu, 07 Sep 2017 00:19:45 GMT by MRT

Further to my earlier comment about verifying the competance of Sonographers who have not completed a recognized Sonography training program, maybe the College should only grandfather those people who have successfully completed the Sonography Canada examination. I know of people who have completed courses at facilities like the Canadian Ultrasound Institute and the North American Ultrasound Training Centre who have not completed the Sonography Canada examination and are incompetent, yet are working in Ontario and potentially endangering the lives of the Ontario public.

Posted Thu, 07 Sep 2017 01:27:19 GMT by Sonographer

Ultrasound uses no radiation and so the name of CMRTO should be adapted to be more accurate now that ultrasound is included with the other imaging modalities. Maybe Medical Radiation and Imaging (CMRITO) or Medical Radiation and Ultrasound (CMRSTO) or just Medical Imaging (CMITO)

I see a few others have mentioned this as well and I feel it is important to us sonographers.

Posted Thu, 07 Sep 2017 08:08:55 GMT by Sonographer

I am certified sonographer in ARDMS ( AB, OB/GYN. VT ,BR and MSK ) and working full time for 4 years .Being a member of COMRTO due to high membership  fee compare to ARDMS is not good idea for me . ARDMS is a well known organisation in North America , I have all certificates  that I need to do my job in best way and the quality of my job is always under supervisions of the best RADS in our clinic. Please just tell me one logical reason why should I pay more membership fee  in COMRTO?  

Thanks 

Posted Thu, 07 Sep 2017 08:10:00 GMT by CMRITO Communications

CMRTO response: The ARDMS administers examinations and awards credentials in the areas of ultrasound. The CMRTO is a regulatory body, and membership with the CMRTO will provide sonographers with the legal authority to practise diagnostic medical sonography in Ontario, when the regulation comes into effect. The CMRTO protects the public by setting standards of practice for the profession, setting entry to practice requirements for applicants, ensuring the continued competence of members and addressing concerns from the public.  

Posted Sat, 09 Sep 2017 01:26:11 GMT by Sonographer

As a working sonographer in echocardiography for 10 years, I think the grandfathering guidelines are more then fair for anyone who is proficient in our profession. 

I would like to address comments that only sonographers who have passed the Sonography Canada exams be grandfathered. Up until approximately 2014, there were no exams in Canada for Echocardiography.  ARDMS was the standard exam and a recognized credential by employers. I graduated from an educational facility recognized in schedule 1.3 but am not a member of Sonography Canada.  I believe the CMRTO has recognized this and has created their grandfathering guidelines appropriately.  Yes, the world of sonography has many loop holes that has brought many people into the profession who are not competent but we can only move forward from this point on.  

Posted Mon, 11 Sep 2017 08:54:38 GMT by Public

I am scheduled to write the exam for SPI, Abdomen, and OB, if ever  I passed these exams in 2 months and will get a chance to work in January 2018, can I apply under grandparenting? 

Posted Mon, 11 Sep 2017 08:55:00 GMT by CMRITO Communications

CMRTO response: In the future you will be required to be registered with the CMRTO in order to practise as a diagnostic medical sonographer. There will be a one-year grandparenting period starting in January 2018. You can find out more about the steps and the process on the CMRTO website at www.cmrto.org. We will send out regular ‘DMS Updates’ as the regulations proceed.

Posted Mon, 11 Sep 2017 23:06:09 GMT by Sonographer

CMRTO has it's own QA program and Accreditation guidelines. Does this mean the present Echocardiography Accreditation body "CCN/Corehealth" will become redundant. Will Echo labs already accredited in Ontario need to be accredited with CMRTO as well?

Posted Mon, 11 Sep 2017 23:07:00 GMT by CMRITO Communications

CMRTO response: The CMRTO is a regulatory body, and membership with the CMRTO will provide sonographers with the legal authority to practise diagnostic medical sonography in Ontario, when the regulation comes into effect. The CMRTO has no jurisdiction over facilities.