Posted Wed, 03 Apr 2019 23:00:00 GMT by CMRITO Communications

The CMRTO is expecting the proclamation into force of the Medical Radiation and Imaging Technology Act, 2017 (the MRITA) in the near future.  Once the MRITA is in force, it will change the name of the CMRTO to the College of Medical Radiation and Imaging Technologists of Ontario (the CMRITO).  It will change the name of the profession to the profession of medical radiation and imaging technology.  It will also change the titles restricted only to members of the CMRITO.  These titles include “medical radiation and imaging technologist” and “diagnostic medical sonographer”.  It will also prohibit any person other than a member of the CMRITO from holding themselves out as a person who is qualified to practise in Ontario as a medical radiation and imaging technologist or in a specialty of medical radiation and imaging technology.

In anticipation of the coming into force of the MRITA, the CMRTO’s Council has approved, for circulation and comment, a new registration regulation to be made under the MRITA (Proposed Regulation). Among other things, the Proposed Regulation refers to the new name of the profession and streamlines the regulation so that it reflects the similarities of the registration requirements for all five specialties – radiography, radiation therapy, nuclear medicine, magnetic resonance and diagnostic medical sonography.

In accordance with the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991, the Proposed Regulation is being circulated for 60 days to members and stakeholders for comment. Prior to finalizing the Proposed Regulation, Council will consider all comments received by the deadline, keeping in mind the CMRTO’s mandate to protect the public interest.

We wish to hear your comments on the Proposed Regulation. Please add your comments and thoughts by using the form below, or by email here.

The CMRTO Council will carefully review all comments before making any decisions regarding the Proposed Regulation. If the Proposed Regulation is approved by Council, notification will be posted to the CMRTO website.

The CMRTO will also be informed through its website, social media and Insights.

You can view the comments to date below. Please note that all comments are reviewed before they are posted to ensure that they comply with our Social Media Policy.

Posted Thu, 04 Apr 2019 05:37:03 GMT by CMRITO Member

Well written, comprehensive regulation. Congratulations to DMS's as well for integrating.

Posted Thu, 04 Apr 2019 05:48:39 GMT by CMRITO Member

Hi I am an applicant for diagnostic medical sonography registeration and this is an appropriate move from CMRTO as it was looking steange for a sonographer to be registered under an authority whose name doesn't include the aspect of sonography.

I would suggest "College of Medical Imaging and Radiotherapy Thechnologists  Ontario" (CMIRTO).

Best Regards

Posted Thu, 04 Apr 2019 06:42:09 GMT by CMRITO Member

I would have liked to see the Medical Radiation Therapeutic and Imaging Technology Act as a better reflection of the different specialties.

Posted Thu, 04 Apr 2019 08:54:27 GMT by CMRITO Member

What are the other things referred to in this statement?

"Among other things, the Proposed Regulation refers to the new name of the profession and streamlines the regulation so that it reflects the similarities of the registration requirements for all five specialties – radiography, radiation therapy, nuclear medicine, magnetic resonance and diagnostic medical sonography"

How can we comment on a proposal if we do not have the text in its entirety to read?

Posted Thu, 04 Apr 2019 22:21:07 GMT by CMRITO Member

While I understand the rationale for the change, it is unfortunate that individuals will be required to adopt a longer and more complex name that (by definition) will include a reference that does not apply to them. There is not an easy solution here, as there are members who do not use radiation (MR and US) as well as those who do not focus on diagnostic imaging (therapists), but as a radiation therapist, it seems to be an unnecessary mouthful to say that I am a "medical radiation and imaging technologist" when imaging is not actually teh focus of what I do. I imagine it would also be frustrating for MR and US to have to include "radiation" in there. 

Is there no opportunity to have more relevant names, even if it meant including a few professions - for example, can we not have a College named CMRITO that acknowledges the inclusion of multiple disciplines, but then just use our individual titles as radiation therapists, radiological technologists etc. That would likely suggest the use of the CAMRT's abbreviated credentials - RTT, RTR etc. 

A complicated issue that perhaps reflects the fact that we are becoming an increasingly diverse grouping of HCP under an increasingly arbitrary heading. Perhaps radiation therapists no longer truly fit under the jurisdiction of this College (and I say that as a radiation therapist)...it might be more relevant to have the College focus on all imaging modalities instead of having radiation as the common bond  (though I recognize the legal/political complexities of such a change)/

I appreciate the opportunity to comment.

Posted Thu, 04 Apr 2019 23:15:47 GMT by CMRITO Member

The inclusion of sonography under the College umbrella was a great move for the profession and the patients alike.  However, the arduous task of finding relevant, understandable and accurate titles to apply to the collection of diverse practitioners under that umbrella is leading us to a destination of increased vagueness and ambiguity.  The efforts to lump us under one heading is resulting in dilution of the meaning of our titles and most importantly, our ability to communicate to our patients and the public what we actually do.  This is the most important use of our titles and it appears we are moving further and further away from that goal.  I would urge the College to reconsider this blanket approach and implore them to find solutions that are clear, easily communicated and accurate.  I am not in favour of the current approach.

Thank you for the opportunity to share my thoughts. 

Posted Sat, 06 Apr 2019 00:08:40 GMT by CMRITO Member

A very comprehensive and concise document.  Well done.

If possible, it would be an asset to employers and the public to allow for the DMS credential to have some type of description (as to what that specific MRIT is specialized in) simliar to the MRT subdesignations ie.  DMS(G), DMS(V), DMS (C) - General, Vascular, Cardiac.

This would be both beneficial and allow recognition of the DMS subspecialites.

Thank you for the opportunity to review the document and provide our feedback. 

Posted Sat, 06 Apr 2019 20:00:47 GMT by CMRITO Member

College of Medical Imaging of Ontario (CMIO) all under the same umbrella...

We are all "imaging" in the medical field in some form or another while using the same credentials.

Posted Mon, 08 Apr 2019 23:58:47 GMT by CMRITO Member

I understand why the change Is being made to the college, however, I still think each keep some  members designation (radiation therapist/Therapy to be specific). Speaking as a radiation therapist, I feel a change in our designation name will only confuse the general population even more. Our patients have a hard time grasping that we are radiation therapists (not xray techs, or nurses), let alone the new proposed name. It does not embody what we actually do as therapists. Including other designations in our college is a great benefit, but I think each profession should be recognized for what they are separately.

Please consider this more thoroughly. Thank you for allowing our feedback.

Posted Tue, 09 Apr 2019 00:23:56 GMT by CMRITO Member

As a Radiation Therapist, I find it also to be an unnecessary mouthful and adds further confusion to our patients.

thank you for allowing my comment

Posted Tue, 09 Apr 2019 21:14:25 GMT by CMRITO Member

I feel it is best to have the titles of professionals as follows: Medical Radiation and Imaging Technologists, with specialization indicated.

MRIT(R) - Radiographer

MRIT(S) - Sonographer

MRIT(T) - Radiation Therapist

MRIT(M) - MRI technologist

MRIT(N) - Nuclear Medicine technologist.

All specialties use some type of radiation and imaging. It is important to indicate specialty in the title as each is distinct in role and qualifications.

Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2019 02:07:40 GMT by CMRITO Member

Thank you for providing detailed information about the changes.

I do think members are focusing on the title of the College and forgetting that their role titles will not actually change. They will still be MRTs, DMS or Radiation Therapists and that is how they can present themselves to their patients or colleagues. It doesn't change anything. The title change of the College is necessary to now include those disciplines who do not use radiation, but it doesn't change their professional designation.

Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2019 05:11:42 GMT by Public

I think that any kind of regulation helping to define clear rules and procedures allowing people to perform their jobs in a more efficient way and protecting the patients is welcome.

Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2019 20:36:14 GMT by CMRITO Member

I would also like to have "Among other things" defined before I agree to vote on this proposal. Also, how much will this change in name, letterhead andadvertising cost its members?

Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2019 02:55:03 GMT by CMRITO Member

I want to thank you for allowing us to have a voice.  The change is in the name of the college to incorporate DMS.  It does not change the roles that we actually do or how we present ourselves to the public.

Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2019 02:13:16 GMT by CMRITO Member

in think The word college in the title is misleading and does not reflect our organization

may i suggest the name Ontario Medical imaging and radiation therapy (OMIRT)

Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2019 02:18:06 GMT by CMRITO Member

i notice that we pay attention on the name only but CMRTO is created to regulate imaging adn radiation technology .

my question is what CMRTO offer for its member.

1) the fees is so high i pay $250  with sonography Canada and they offered 5Millions liability insurance , monthly sonography Journal and free CME.but CMRTO is doing nothing while we are almost 11 thousands members.

Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2019 02:31:50 GMT by CMRITO Member

I like the change to the act, however when it says " medical radiation and imaging technologist", it seems you have to be both. Maybe a " and/or " instead of just an " and ". Except for the title which should include all technologists.

Thanks for the opportunity to review and comment.

Posted Mon, 06 May 2019 21:01:30 GMT by Organization

Test